Today I wanted to share some of my favorite tips for going shopping because I recently took a trip to our local mall over the weekend and I felt super accomplished afterwards because it was such a successful trip. There are a ton of people out there who love shopping (I myself am one of those people) and there are those who absolutely hate shopping. If you fall in the second category or you want to figure out how to make the most out of your shopping trips I have some tips for you! I have fine tuned the process to make my trips as quick as possible so that I do not wonder around and waste time and money.
My 5 Tips for Going Shopping
- Make a list – I know this sounds like a no-brainer but up until recently I used to go to the malls or go online and wander around the stores and websites. This resulted in wasted time and money spent on things I didn’t really need. Now anytime I go shopping I make a list in my phone of what I am looking for and what I need and try my HARDEST to stick to that list. This weekend I was on the hunt for some shorts (which I picked up some cute pairs for upcoming posts), spring tops, makeup and I wanted to find some cute overalls (which I found a pink pair under $30 coming soon). This list helped me stay on task and get the things I needed.
- Know what works for you – When I say this I am referring to color, fit, styles, brands ect. For me I know I am always on the hunt for things that are pink because I love pink and I know it looks good with my hair and skin color. I also know that I like high waisted jeans or shorts preferably in a lighter wash or black denim. I like girly and edgy styles which helps me narrow down my search in a store like Nordstrom. I also always know what brands I am shopping for – for example I knew this weekend I wanted to checkout Topshop and Free People at Nordstrom as well as hit Zara, Forever 21, H&M as well as a few boutiques that sell some of the other designer items I like. Knowing what works for you helps making your shopping trips a bit easier.
- Know your sizes – Another no-brainer but going along with the making a list tip you should also make a note in your phone of the sizes you are needing for what you are shopping for. No one is one size for each brand + store so I typically like to check previous purchases to see what size I am needing for everything I am shopping for. That way when you get to the stores you don’t have to pull 2-3 sizes of each style to figure out what one works best. You can pull the one size and go from there when trying on.
- Find inspiration before shopping – I am constantly looking for inspiration on upcoming trends and styles. I look anywhere from Instagram to Pinterest to magazines and blogs. I have a thing for trendy styles so before I hit the malls or websites I like to get as much inspiration for what is on trend so when I see those styles in the stores or online – I can give them a try! Finding inspiration will also get your creative brain going and help make putting outfits together easier if you’ve seen it done elsewhere.
- Clean out your closet – This is a big one if you’re looking to update your wardrobe or do a decent amount of shopping. I heard once that for every new item you bring home you should donate or sell that many items. I’m not saying I do that but I do go through my closet probably monthly and pull things I don’t love anymore to make room for new. I typically take some stuff to resale places or I will list things on Poshmark or even just donate the items. Doing this regularly will give you a good idea as well to what you currently have and what you might need the next time you go shopping. How many times have you gone shopping and ended up with something you probably have 5 similar things of? I know I am guilty of that especially with basic tee shirts. Know what you have so you know what you need!
I hope these quick tips help make your next shopping trip easier! Thanks as always for stopping by!
Shop my outfit details here –